Interventions in support of the realization of Electronic Health Records
This project, in conjunction between the Agency for Digital Italy and the National Research Council (ICAR-CNR, Naples branch and IIT-CNR, Rende branch), intends to perform a series of actions aimed at supporting the implementation of the Electronic Health Record (EHR) by the Italian Regions and Autonomous Provinces, in response to what is indicated by the recent revision of the Italian Law Decree 179/2012 by the Italian Law n. 98/2013.
The project is a continuation of several previous initiatives, such as:
- The project "Technological Infrastructure of EHR (InFSE)", a collaboration between the Department for Digitization of the Public Administration and Technological Innovation (DDI) of the Presidency of the Council of Ministers and the National Research Council (CNR), which produced the first guidelines for technological interoperability of the EHR, in the context of the Public Connectivity System, approved by the Table of eHealth - coordinated by the Ministry of Health and DDI with all the Regions.
- The project "Operational infrastructure to support the interoperability of territorial solutions of the EHR (OpenInFSE)", a collaboration between the DDI and the National Research Council, which has developed a first stable network supporting interoperability of the EHR, consisting of hospitals, local health facilities and territorial information systems in some Italian Regions, based on the guidelines produced within the framework of the InFSE project.
- The IPSE project, funded and coordinated by the DDI, with the participation of the Ministry of Health and 10 Italian Regions, which involved the implementation and testing of interoperability solutions between the regional EHR systems, in line with the initiative of the European epSOS (Large Scale Pilot for interoperability of patient summary and the digital prescription, funded by the European Commission under the CIP-ICT).
- The specifications for the definition of a standardized structuring of the information components of the EHR (patient summary, digital report, hospital discharge letter, etc.) developed and approved by the Italian Table of eHealth.
- The project “Evolution and interoperability of the EHR", carried out in collaboration between the DDI and the CNR, which consolidated the results already obtained and provided operational support to the diffusion on the national territory of a solution of technological interoperability of the EHR, in line with the technical rules of the Public Connectivity System and open to the new paradigm of Cloud Computing.
In particular, the project has the following specific objectives:
- Developing guidelines for the Italian Regions and Autonomous Provinces, for the preparation of the regional project plans.
- Supporting the Agency in evaluating the project plans submitted by the Italian Regions and Autonomous Provinces, verifying the compliance with the provisions on EHR.
- Supporting the Agency in monitoring the implementation of the EHR systems by the Italian Regions and Autonomous Provinces, in accordance with the approved project plans.
- Establishing and managing a dedicated web platform offering functionalities for the online presentation and verification of the regional project plans and the visualization of the reached results.
The results achieved so far by the Technical Board coordinated by the Agency for Digital Italy and the Ministry of Health, with representatives of the Ministry of Economy and Finance, the Italian Regions and Autonomous Provinces, as well as the National Research Council and the CISIS (interregional Centre for Information, Geographical and Statistical Systems), regard:
- Production and publication of the guidelines for the preparation of the regional project plans on EHR systems.
- Production and publication of some technical specifications concerning the requirements for the interoperability of EHR systems.
- Reception of the regional project plans.
- M.T. Chiaravalloti, M. Ciampi, E. Pasceri, M. Sicuranza, G. De Pietro, R. Guarasci, "A model for realizing interoperable EHR systems in Italy", in 15th International HL7 Interoperability Conference, Prague, Czech Republic, February 9-11, 2015
- G. De Pietro, M. Ciampi, "Sistemi di Fascicolo Sanitario Elettronico: requisiti e possibili approcci", 14° Congresso Nazionale Associazione Italiana di Telemedicina ed Informatica Medica: Telemedicina e benessere del cittadino (@ITIM 2014), 2014 (Italian)